I have had a frustrating time recently with comments that individuals feel should be made regarding my pregnant figure. I'm not tall -- so there is not anywhere for this growth to go but outward.
Thankfully, my OB/GYN stated at my visit two days ago, "You look beautiful!" I'm glad that came from the doctor's mouth! :-)
But then, I went to work last night. As soon as I stepped into the hospital lobby, an agency nurse with whom I'd worked a couple nights (and TOLD my due date) ran up to me exclaiming, "You haven't had that baby YET?!?" I reminded her that my due date is still more than 3 months away. She looked at me like I was crazy when I told her that.
Then, on the elevator, another nurse looked at me with sympathy and said, "I know the last few weeks are the hardest, hon." What?!? Did an elephant take over my body without my knowing it? I silently willed myself not to hit the woman.
When I got to my unit, all was well -- that is, until I had to be out on the floor going to see my patients. A couple of labor nurses called for me to come to the nurse' station. There I was greeted with, "What the HECK? There's NO way you'll make it another 3 months!" Do not even THEY know what a full-term pregnant woman who happens to be a bit shorter than them looks like? My word.
Anyway, I have tried very hard to take all this in stride. It usually doesn't bother me too much -- but when it's a CONSTANT deluge of not-so-nice comments -- it starts to really sound offensive. I was feeling really good about how I looked this pregnancy -- and now this. Sigh...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I know exactly what you mean. Maybe it's all those hormones but I've started telling people who make those comments that you should never tell a pregnant woman she looks big because believe me, she already feels it. I'm never sure who to believe because I have other people who tell me I look small. I think people just don't know what to say so commenting on your size and how will you ever make it until your due date is the only thing they can think of. I also get really tired of hearing how hot & miserable I am going to be during the summer. In all honesty it hasn't been any worse than when I wasn't pregnant.
Beth - you must be carrying the baby ALL out front. Just tell them the baby is doing his toe-touching exercises, and he's got his rear end sticking straight out.
Maybe when they tell you that you can't last another 3 months, it's their way of saying you MUST be farther along, and it'll be over sooner??
Nah...people are just idiots, and don't know what to say to a pregnant lady.
Hey Kelley,
Good to see you! I should just start saying that. I have done so on a couple of occasions -- and have sarcastically said either, "Thanks," or, "Don't hold back!" By the way -- you look very cute pregnant!
Yep, M.K. That has been my summation of some in this situation!
We were out of town this weekend to see in-laws. Favorite in-law comment for the weekend (sarcasm again, obviously)? "Wow Beth, you sure put on the weight!" Sheesh.
Post a Comment