Saturday, July 7, 2007

The Countdown

Last night, Tom and I talked into the night (not always a good thing when sleep is so desperately needed!). We are both excited that his pharmacy degree is two years from being over. His classroom time will be over in May, then the real fun begins. Then, he'll be in rotations (with no summer break) until he graduates. We are not exactly sure how everything will work.

Somehow, I'll need to work around his schedule rather than the other way around. During his class schedule, my working nights has been fine. It hasn't been easy in the least, yet it's worked (and since my parents started helping with the kids when we need it, it's been MUCH better). But, we've realized that when during rotations, because his mornings will be so early (usually hours before I arrive home from work) and some of his evenings will cut into the hours of the shifts I work, some major changes will have to take place. It is hard not to stress completely out over it. And then there is the already so little time we are able to spend together! Is it too much to pray that God will just drop a load of money in our laps so I can just stay home with the kids and be able to see Tom when he's home? ;-)

We came to the conclusion that, for now (well, in the spring), I will need to ask to cut back to PRN status, which would enable me to sign up for my shifts rather than just be assigned to them. And then I would need to sign up for mainly weekend night shifts (UGH). Ummm... less family time due to my exhaustion, and missing more church services... It's looking bleak for me, although I know it would be shortlived. And if I'm told "No" by my superiors at the hospital -- that would create a whole new problem altogether. Sigh...

Tom's main advice to me was truly Biblical (definitely coming from the man of our house, so I need to snap to it!). He said not to worry, that things would work out somehow, and that I just need to focus on getting ready for our new baby! I know he's right. It is just going to take serious determination on my part not to stress out!

I just keeping thinking to myself, "Two years from this moment, life will be VERY different -- in a really good way!"

2 comments:

M.K. said...

Hey Beth - God WILL work it out, it's true! Your hubby is right. Determine, as much as you can, not to stress about it. We've found over and over that God provided for us in unexpected ways, when we were dependent on him.

Beth said...

Thanks, M.K.! I need all the reminders and prayer I can get. :-)