Sunday, October 21, 2007

Colin Michael

He is here. He arrived October 18, 2007, at 7:08 a.m. after 18 long hours of labor. Colin was 8 lbs, 15 oz, 21 inches long, with a head circumference of 14.5 inches!

On Wednesday morning, I woke up with an uneasy feeling. The baby wasn't moving much, so I called the doctor's office after eating something and lying down, trying to see if he'd move more. They said to come right in, so I did. I'm glad I did! The doctor did a non-stress test, which didn't look great -- the heartrate just didn't have the variability one would like to see. I think it was also hard for him to know I could easily read the strip myself and know things didn't look great. He then did an ultrasound (he decided to do a complete Biophysical profile, or BPP). Colin's heart and lungs looked great -- but he just would NOT move. At all. So the doctor said he thought I really needed to be delivered now rather than to wait any longer. He added that the lung maturity test on Monday was likely false, based on how good the lungs looked on the ultrasound.

So... I went in to the hospital. I was already more favorable for induction than I anticipated -- so it didn't take long to get things going. But that night, when we expected things to go quickly and finish up, I stopped dilating, and the pain I was in was just about too much. This went on until about 4 or so in the morning, when my nurse told me to get on my side. I know I had to be in transition, because I don't think I made any sense to anyone, looking back at things! Colin had been in a very weird position all night -- keeping me from progressing properly. When I got on my side, within an hour, I felt a strong urge to push.

Colin never did quite turn into the correct position. He was head first -- but the head was sideways rather than down. He delivered this way, which made it quite drawn out and painful! I had a WONDERFUL OB who stayed with me during the entire ordeal -- he was right there, talking kindly to me, doing whatever he could to help Colin come out as safely as possible. I know he never left the hospital at all during the night. He stayed in a room across the hall so he'd be close in case I needed him there quickly.

Colin had a rough time coming out (shoulder dystocia that lasted about 60 seconds), and some respiratory problems (due to difficult delivery). So he went to the NICU for a while. When he was up there, while his respiratory issues cleared up nearly immediately, his blood pressures were not as high as needed, and they found a heart murmur (everything is fine now, by the way). So he got a full work-up, and didn't get to come back to the normal nursery for 9 hours. It was frustrating for me also, as I was not allowed to leave to see him because my bleeding was a bit out of control for several hours. I finally got to go see him around 4 pm -- and they transferred him to normal nursery half an hour later!

Anyway, we came home late yesterday, and are adapting to having a family of 5! It has been trying, but wonderful at the same time. Here are a couple pictures:

Relieved!


Colin Michael -- my little chub!

5 comments:

Joanna said...

He's beautiful, Beth! (Can I say that about a boy?) You look pretty good, too. I'm so thankful that he is here, and you are both healthy.

Rachel said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! He is SO CUTE!!!! Isn't it fun having little chunkers at birth?!? I can't believe how big he is - what was your official due date?

j.j. said...

He is so cute Beth! I know you're relieved to be done with the pregnancy and have your sweet little one in your arms. I love his name.

Beth said...

Thanks! I am enjoying him very much. I'm still exhausted -- not really due to lack of sleep. This delivery took more out of me than anticipated...

Rachel, my due date was November 4th. I can't imagine having waited that long!

K. Humby said...

Beth!!! Congratulations! He is quite cute. I love the hair and the chubby face. Yikes! I can't imagine how big he might have been had you delivered on your due date! Praise God all is well.