Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Prayer

I'm requesting it.

I had another appointment with the OB today. It looks as though we may be looking at a C-Section if this baby keeps growing the way he has been (and I am not a gestational diabetic, either!). According to my last ultrasound (last week -- at 35 weeks), he was already 8 1/2 pounds. Today, the doctor said that at my next ultrasound (next week), if it looks like he's over 10 pounds already (a distinct possibility), she'll just schedule a Cesarean. Yikes! I don't recall the doctors in this group ever scheduling a C-Section for LGA babies (LGA: large for gestational age) -- so I know this one's a biggun'. She said that if it appears there's a chance he's under 10 pounds, we'll definitely try this the natural way.

Even with the small margin of error (about 1/2 lb either way), I do have a really big baby. I am quite a bit bigger than I was with my biggest baby (Bryan was 8 lbs, 14 oz.) -- and I am measuring 8 weeks ahead (have done that consistently for several weeks now).

I really would like to do this thing without surgery -- but realize that my doctor is concerned about what is likely to happen if I try to force something out that just doesn't fit (I'm built a little differently, apparently). Things get damaged (a lot of women don't realize this) during normal deliveries of very large babies. Plus, with my increased risk for hemorrhage from the polyhydramnios, there's even more to worry about. And then there are the risks to the baby...
We also may just try to induce (I'm already "favorable" for induction), and just see what happens...

So, please pray that God's Will be done. I really hope His Will involves a normal delivery without a trip to the OR! ;-)

Either way, this drama will be over soon! :-)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Still praying!!! Would induction raise more risks than normal because of the polyhydromnios? I sure hope you get the delivery you are hoping for, but more importantly a healthy Mommy and baby:)

Beth said...

The poly creates a bit more risk in that the baby has more fluid to move around in, making it more possible for the cord to prolapse (life threatening for him). I also run more risk of hemorrhage at birth (life threatening for me). With a really big baby, the situation is complicated, because in addition to these risks, there could be more internal/external tearing that might cause irreparable damage -- and further bleeding issues.

I'm just praying that this next ultrasound will reveal that he hasn't grown as much as last time!