Friday, September 28, 2007

34 week appointment

I had my most recent appointment on Wednesday. It seems that the plot will only thicken until our little guy decides to join us! My distended belly now measures 8 weeks ahead (gulp -- 42 weeks?!?), my blood pressures are rising significantly (in my case, likely the beginnings of preeclampsia again), and the non-stress test that was done did not achieve quite the results we wanted (baby not as reactive as desired, & contractions every 5 minutes). It had taken a while to get in for my appointment, and by the time we were finishing things up, the doctor was contemplating admitting me to the hospital. I reminded her that it was late and I was supposed to be going there to work very soon! She just responded that I would either be there working -- or as a patient (I think this was her way of injecting humor into the situation). The doctor who was going to be on call (another one I see often) stepped in and said the test didn't look that bad -- just that the baby wasn't moving a whole lot. She wasn't too happy about the contractions -- but couldn't argue that I should be admitted since my body has been in a contraction pattern for quite a while now. BUT, then she lectured me on my activity level. She said, "You need to cut out these long shifts and be on modified bed rest." When Tom and I assured her that I was taking call whenever offered so as to stay home more often, she stuck to her guns: "Those are my recommendations!" She then said that this pregnancy is at very high risk for pre-term delivery because of the combination of problems I'm having. Great.

My dilemma -- I have GOT to get to my one-year anniversary with the hospital to make maternity leave. That's six more 12-hour shifts (two weeks), assuming I don't get called off of any of them! BUT, I did take call twice this past week, so there's hope. We are going to ask to move my leave back by a week since the doctor is now talking of induction at 37 weeks. I'm scheduled for 3 more weeks -- so that would put me at working my very last shift before delivery (Lord Willing!) on my one-year anniversary as an employee!

I actually would love to not be working this job right now -- it IS hard on me. But what can I do? Not a whole lot. I'm just going to do the best I can to make it to the end!

2 comments:

K. Humby said...

Be praying for you!!!

Beth said...

Thanks, Katie! So far, things seem okay -- I have been on call so far tonight, and praying that I don't get called in. :-) I just need to get through the next 5 shifts (a week from tomorrow is my 1-year anniversary at the hospital!)...