What was originally a "normal" prenatal appointment turned into a much bigger deal than anticipated. I've been having more contractions lately, and I was at work during the night Sunday pm to Monday am, when I wasn't doing so well. I saw the doctor during that time (she was there because another pt. delivered during the night). She asked about how much I was contracting, and I told her what all was going on at the time. So she decided to do another fetal fibronectin (results to be heard about tomorrow!) and check for changes during this appointment (which was today). The things I was afraid of were fine, thankfully.
But when she measured me, well ... I was 3 weeks ahead! So she did an ultrasound right away, which revealed polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid), AND the baby is measuring 3-4 weeks ahead growth-wise (83% over where he's supposed to be right now). If my blood pressure doesn't go sky high (which it did toward the end of each of the first two pregnancies -- thus a reason to be induced), or if I don't go into labor early, I've been told I'll probably be looking at a scheduled C-Section if things continue this way -- which I REALLY don't want. The baby's "bigness" is a small factor -- the polyhydramnios complicates things (a lot more risks involved, including hemorrhage, abruption, etc.). I know that the practice I use doesn't lean toward C-Sections by ANY means. And especially not this particular doc. Sigh...
I've had somewhat big babies before (almost 9 pounds both times) -- but now we're looking at a REALLY big (gulp) baby in what is now a higher-risk situation (the polyhydramnios). These factors combined are what make me contract so much. My uterus is quite distended and my hormones are out of control. So now I'm almost hoping that the high blood pressure becomes an issue so they'll have to induce me 2-3 weeks early so I can at least have a normal delivery! How sad is that? Fortunately, the doctor really thinks I'll go into labor on my own before then (another "likelihood" due to the poly). We'll see...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment