This past weekend, Tom and I went on our babymoon/anniversary getaway (without children) to a wonderfully beautiful, secluded mountain area. On Thursday afternoon when we got there, I was feeling like I needed to go to bed for a bit. I had worked the two nights before -- and was feeling some Braxton-Hicks contractions (fairly painless -- usually just tightening that's uncomfortable). After a couple hours of rest, I still didn't feel like I could really get out and do anything, and the contractions kept getting stronger. I called my doc back home, who said to drink a lot of fluids, and to find a hospital with an OB unit where I could be evaluated if things got worse. So Tom got directions to a hospital 27 miles away (about a 45 minute drive with all the mountain curves). After taking a couple Tylenol PM and drinking so much water I felt I could float, I did sleep for two hours (we thought we were going to be fine). When I woke up, I was in a great deal of pain, so told Tom we HAD to go to a hospital. Long story short, after being on the monitor for a little while, which showed I was contracting every 2-7 minutes, I was given IV fluids and some medicine to help with the pain while a couple tests were run. I was released in the morning with instructions to rest. One of the tests they did (a Fetal Fibronectin) was to determine if I will deliver in the next couple of weeks. It was negative, so that is very good news (this baby had better NOT be ready to come out at 27 weeks!). We did manage to make the most of the rest of our time in the mountains, which were very beautiful, by the way!
I had to go back in to work Sunday night after we got back into town -- and was having the Braxton-Hicks contractions again -- every couple minutes. But I was just very uncomfortable -- not really in a lot of pain, so did all my work. I finally finished what I could and allowed the labor nurses to check me in to be monitored. Sure enough, I was contracting every 2 minutes. But, nothing else had changed. After receiving a drug to help stop the contractions (which did not help), the doctor told me that there wasn't a whole lot that could be done at this point, other than giving me something to help me sleep. It appears that I am just going to be really uncomfortable until I actually go into labor. Sigh... The good news is that the contractions aren't causing changes that are dangerous to the baby (for now), and I will be able to continue working (even though I would love nothing more than to rest!). I was told to limit my trips out of town from here on out, and I will be more closely monitored during my office visits.
Sigh... Is this perhaps God's way of keeping us on our toes???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow, Beth. I'm so glad everything is okay! That's nervous, when you're out of town. I don't know if God is keeping you on your toes, or keeping you in the bed! I hope those contractions let up soon.
Amen to that!
I have to admit I was very impressed with the care I received out of town! God was indeed watching over us.
Post a Comment