I am not sure how we are going to get through the rest of Tom's rotations.
My boss came to me on Wednesday and dropped the bomb on me: "It looks like there will be no more openings for you to stay on day shift. As of October 5th, you will no longer be working days." When I asked about weekend days, she replied,"No -- you'll have to be on nights full-time." While I appreciate that my employers have worked with me to keep me on days this long, it is hard for me to be as gracious when I know that since I put in my request to be on day shifts (9 months ago), they have hired more nurses. And a couple of them got day shift jobs. I'm not sure how all the hospital politics work -- but this seems very unfair to me.
So naturally, I am doing my best to work on getting a labor/delivery job at the other hospital in town. It looks like I'll be on full-time nights until I can make that work out. Weekend nights at that, most likely... Sigh... It's been hard enough to be away from Tom all week long and only get a few precious hours with him on weekend nights. Now I'll be absolutely exhausted most of the time as well. I've never been a very healthy person on night shift because I simply don't sleep well during the day. I never could adjust well. I suffered through 4 years of working nights -- and I am done!!!
Okay, venting aside...I have spoken with a couple of physicians about having them as references while trying to get another job. The response has been overwhelming! This is very good -- especially since I know that the doctors I asked about this are very well respected at both facilities. Honestly, if I were able to get a job at the other place -- I would love it. They run their birthing unit very differently -- and midwives have privileges over there as well. Please pray that something works out!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I will certainly be praying for you. You need more time with that precious family of yours.
Yikes! That's not cool. Not very considerate of family needs, are they? That seems quite unfair. :(
Ugh! So sorry to hear that Beth! I will be praying that you find a wonderful day job!
Beth - I do hope something better works out for you. Working nights must be a MISERY :( Keep us posted!
Post a Comment