This morning, we went to see our pediatrician for Colin's 9-month checkup. "We" included me, Bryan, Emily, and Colin. When our (very sweet) doctor walked in, the children were all trying to get his attention. Our little drama queen took over the exam table and stated that "The Dr. needs to look at all my boo-boos". Our pediatrician is around our (Tom and Me, that is) age -- and is very easy-going. So he played along. He checked Colin out and gave him his clean bill of health -- then moved on to Emily. He was joking and laughing with me as he looked at Emily's various "boo-boos" and looked her over to humor her. He even used his instruments -- and got out his otoscope, at Emily's request. He looked in her ears, then grabbed an ear-cleaning device while looking at me kind of funny. He said, "I think there's really something in there!" I couldn't believe it. He then said, "Really -- I'm not joking -- this is serious." Emily had somehow gotten something lodged deep into her ear. The doctor could not get it out, either. So he gave us a referral and set up an appointment for Emily to see a specialist later today! Oh my word...
The specialist WAS able to get the little butterfly bead (from one of Emily's necklaces) out -- but not without real effort. He told me afterward that he really was starting to think he was going to have to put her to sleep (poor choice of words, I think!).
Thankfully, Emily's hearing was not affected -- and she did not sustain any permanent damage (as was feared).
What a day! I must say I am extremely grateful for such a thorough and kind pediatrician who listens to EVERY child's concerns. He said, "She obviously knew I really did need to look at her!" Lesson learned...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Isn't God good? I'm glad that worked out! What if it had stayed in there for . . . how long?
My 2 yo daughter once put a blue bead up her nose, rather high up there. Had to take her to the hospital to get it out.
My nephew Seth was staying with us about a year and a half ago. Every time he and his brothers are with us for the weekend, I make them chocolatel chip pancakes, which they rapidly devour. I noticed that Seth, the one who usually eats the most, was just picking at his. When questioned, he told me that his ear hurt. I looked inside and found a screw! When all was said and done and the screw was finally extracted using a long, antenna-like magnet, he said that he had put the screw in there while they were in Belgium... three months earlier!
Tom reminded me that Emily had complained a few weeks ago that her ear hurt. It was short-lived -- and since the object couldn't be seen, we didn't think anything else of it. So I am not sure how long that thing was in there, but it was a little while! Kids...
speaking of putting things in small holes in the face...
We were traveling once and the kids had M&Ms for snacks. Ethan stuffed a green M&M up his nose! He screamed and cried about it rather loudly. After figuring out what he'd done we just sat there and let him cry until the stupid thing melted a bit and slid right out!
However, his nose ran greeness for quite sometime afters.
Post a Comment