Friday, July 18, 2008

Addiction

There are all kinds of addictions: food, drugs, alcohol, etc. I have an addiction -- but it isn't what one would think. I think I have actually become addicted to exercise, and am thinking that just might be a good thing!

I have always been one to struggle with weight, and I sure do love to eat!

After having Colin, I had a lot of unexpected problems that landed me in the doctor's office for more visits than desired! The only thing I knew I could do to help myself was to exercise. I mentioned my desire for a gym membership to my husband -- who seemed to think at the time that we couldn't afford it. That was in December.

Right after Christmas, Tom went out to "run some errands". When he got home, he gave me my gym membership card! He also had a phone number for me to call to set up my first appointment with a trainer!!! I was so excited that I went that very evening. I have been working out about 5-6 days a week ever since, and I feel so much better!

Now, if I go without a regular workout, I feel terrible -- and that something is missing. I'm addicted. The shocking thing to me is that I am enjoying things I NEVER enjoyed before. I actually felt like jogging yesterday -- and did so. It felt great! So this morning -- I fulfilled my urge to jog again. I can hardly believe it!

Now the pounds are no longer coming off as fast as I'd like -- but my muscle mass has increased substantially (according to my trainer). My clothes are a bit loser, as well. I guess that as long as I'm addicted, I might as well enjoy being addicted to something healthy! Surely the results I desire will come in time...

Now that I am as active as I've ever been, my dear Tom has decided to do so as well. He uses the Wii Fit for exercise since he's never home during the week. He uses it for his workout every day -- for at least 30 minutes. He has lost 10 lbs so far (he has far less to lose than I do!). We both are glad to have more energy in general.

Oh -- and Tom and I have come to the conclusion that we can't afford NOT to have the gym membership!

1 comment:

M.K. said...

Beth - it IS an addiction, in that your body grows to desire and need the exercise. That's a GREAT thing. I've never experienced it myself, but I'm glad you're enjoying it :)