The week before last, work just about did me in. It seemed as though every baby due in our area was being born! We had women laboring in rooms not designated as labor rooms, a VERY full nursery, and far too little staff to handle the ridiculous number of patients we had! This is in our upscale, LARGE birth center -- and considered the best in our area. We recently expanded -- and still were absolutely maxed out. We had doctors trying to send patients over -- and we had to send them to another hospital! I made a comment to one of the docs, "No, I'm afraid we're on diversion -- but let me check to see if we have a stable out back." Okay -- so I guess I was the only one who thought it was funny at the time...
This past week was most definitely calm! There were so few patients that nurses were being put on call EVERY day. So much so, that I went home early my first day of the week -- and was put on call the rest. So now, I am going to need to make up some hours (I don't like having to work extra for that reason -- I prefer EXTRA money, rather than "make-up" money!). Oh well. I have to admit, after the week we had before that, I had been dreading going to work. So being on call was a very nice change. I got to spend a lot more time with Tom -- which was wonderful. He was able to come home for the 4th, and I was home on Saturday as well. It was much needed time together.
Now, I guess it's back to normal. The schedule looks "normal" again (which means busy) -- so I guess the break is over. But it was good while it lasted!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment