Friday, June 27, 2008

Bee stings

On Wednesday night, Bryan was stung right on the edge of his eye by a yellow jacket. Poor kid! His eye swelled up, and he was quite unhappy about it. After getting him fixed up with some Benadryl, Tylenol, and some soothing ointment, he asked, "Mom, what time does the stinging stop?"

I'm wondering if my son has something in his system that signals these insects to attack? A couple years ago, he was stung by wasps three different times on the very same day.

So, naturally, he has a pretty intense fear of being stung -- and the event on Wed. night surely did not help! Bryan has often been afraid to walk onto the porch just because that is where he has always been stung. We keep reassuring him that we have taken measures to prevent further stings (we had an exterminator come and spray the porch, below the porch, etc.), but he keeps coming back with how often he's been stung. I can't say I blame him! I'd feel that way, too.

I plan to talk with the pediatrician to see if there are any risks to him because of the multiple stings. Sigh...

3 comments:

K. Humby said...

Poor kid! I do feel sorry for him. I had quite a few wasp stings one time when little. I was more shocked than anything as I had no idea what exactly was happening... Who knew that hornets lived under pine straw??? :) So, it took me a long time to want to walk into a flower bed. Anyhow, I had not problems when stung later in life. Hopfully, this will also be the case with Brian.

Rachel said...

Poor guy!!! I have gotten questions like this quite alot what with having 4 boys. I always use this as an opportunity to remind them that God is in control of the situation. Trust him and also express to Him your fears and your desire to not be stung. I sure hope his eye heals up fast and there on lingering consequences from his bites.

Beth said...

Thankfully, Bryan is MUCH better. Thanks!

He has seemed fine since (as far as his fear/faith). We have talked about how God is in control. Hopefully he'll be able to keep that in mind!