I can hardly believe the end of August is upon us! Tomorrow marks my 6-week "recovered" mark since the surgery. I'm back to normal. I have been getting back to the gym a little -- and plan to start back with some mild weight training in the next couple days.
I have had one glitch since my last post. My heart rate has started acting up. I am usually one who has what my doctor calls "an athlete's heart beat" -- meaning it is really slow. In the last month or so, I have been having a hard time sleeping occasionally due to what feels like a "racing heart". I figured this was just normal pregnancy stuff -- since I am pumping more blood these days. To some degree, it is normal. But when I was really feeling it a week ago (I was feeling faint, out of breath, dizzy), I finally checked it. At rest, I was at about 100 beats a minute -- and every time I stood up, it hopped into the 110's,120's, and 130's. What?????? After this lasted all day (usually it's short-lived), I decided it might be best to call my doctor. He felt that I should be evaluated in the ER since it was sustained tachycardia. Thankfully, after a thorough blood workup, EKG, and CT scan (and getting some IV fluids), all the really bad stuff was ruled out. Now what?
I had a follow-up appointment at the OB's office two days later. I was feeling normal again, finally (after two days of this nonsense). We discussed how my reflux (I always have this during pregnancy) could be causing the problem -- or that it was just a "benign SVT of pregnancy". Sigh...
Well, after changing medication for the reflux, I have NO heartburn for the first time in months! That is really nice. :-) But, unfortunately, the occasional racing heart has resumed. I just try to take it easy during those times (that strike with no warning whatsoever -- it wakes me up at night sometimes as well) and am avoiding caffeine (no more yummy coffee drinks or the occasional coke). :-(
On the bright side, our baby girl is doing well. She is kicking and making her presence more and more known daily! I am grateful that I am healthy as well -- nothing major is wrong with me. Just some nuisances that should go away with childbirth.
Well, I should sign off. I have a lot left to do in preparation for Emily's birthday -- which is tomorrow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
My pulse is always high during pregnancy. I think at most of my visits it was 110 and they always remarked on it but said it was how my body worked. At my 6 week visit it was down in the 70s.
Ouch -- I can really feel it when it's over 100! I'm normally in the 50's-60's. At my first post-op appt. it was in the 50's -- and my dr. remarked at how low it was. It's now steadily in the 70's-80's when I feel okay (which is within normal limits for pregnancy -- 10-20 beats over baseline). When it gets higher than that, it's not pleasant!
Post a Comment