Thursday, August 13, 2009

Feelin' like a bad blogger...

I haven't been around much lately. Life's been happening!

I've been home with the kids, cooking meals for my family (yes, actual cooking -- most of which doesn't involve either the microwave or a box of some sort!), attempting to clean this house (a work in progress), and getting involved with church activities. These are the things I have so wanted to be doing for such a long time! I have worked three PRN shifts since stopping the full-time madness (my last full-time shift was July 8th), and am so glad things are "settling".

While all of these good changes have been taking place, I have found myself discontented at times and even wondering, "What now?" Good grief! My mother was so very right to tell me right before I got married, "No matter how much money or how many possessions you have, they will never seem to be enough. Become content now!" Life will always seem greener somewhere else in this fallen world!

God has blessed me in so many ways! I have 3 beautiful children, a loving and hardworking husband who loves the Lord. I couldn't ask for more. While I have grown up in a very good home and have had the best parents one could imagine, I still have some pretty immense flaws, and God is dealing with them. Now that life has slowed down a little, He has seen fit to show me my flaws in abundance!!!

I was especially convicted during a Sunday school class this past week. We watched a video with Paul Tripp (who wrote a book we studied this summer: "How People Change"). Handling conflict in marriage was the topic -- and he used an illustration that I will never forget. He took a bottle of water and shook it. Imagine what came out. WATER. When in the midst of an argument or when frustrations rise -- what is ALREADY in us is what will come out of us! It hit a little too close to home. So often, when my temper gets the better of me, I tell myself (and others) that "the kids pushed the wrong buttons", or "YOU sent me over the edge!!!" Nope. If evil words come out -- they don't get there by the actions of others. They were already in (gulp!) my own heart.

So, since the last post, God has been at work! Isn't He always? :-)

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Hmm...two peas in a pod? I'm noticing that the interval between our posts on our blogs is the same. Great post by the way. One of the best things we ever did as parents was read Shepherding Your Child's Heart by Ted Tripp (I believe he's Paul's brother?). Have you read it?

Beth said...

Hmmm...funny you should mention that book -- our small group at church is going to be reading it again this fall! :-)

K. Humby said...

Thank you for sharing!!!