I had my postpartum check on Tuesday -- which was fine overall. The only thing not fine was my blood pressure. I did not have preeclampsia this pregnancy (like with the others), but know that in some cases it can develop during the postpartum period. Sigh... My doctor, knowing I'm a nurse, let me go home with instructions to take my own pressures, to call him when they were high, and return in a couple weeks. I had been having headaches, but assumed they were due to allergies. Oh well.
On Wednesday morning, I woke up with another horrendous headache, so took my BP. It was 180/112!! When I called my doctor's office, the nurse told me to go to the ER as soon as possible. When I got there, they took my BP again -- and it was still very high. So I *got* to spend the day there being monitored and having tests done to determine any underlying causes of the problem. Finally, it was determined that I had pregnancy-induced hypertension! I was given some IV fluids to decrease my symptoms (mainly dizziness) and a prescription for a medication to lower my blood pressure.
So far, I am doing much better! I have to see my doctor again this next week, and am hoping he will soon give me the okay to go back to work in January. I'm hoping life will continue to get back to normal!
Now, on to Christmas preparations -- I can't believe it is December already!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hoping that bp levels out for you.
I came across your blog via a google alert for preeclampsia. I'm a HELLP and PIH mommy.
Hi Denise!
So far, with medication, my bp's have been normal for the most part. I'm hoping, though, I won't have to keep taking BP meds after a while!
Post a Comment