Every mother can probably relate to my issues with the postpartum body. I get very frustrated in the months after baby is born, knowing it will take a LOT to get back into shape! This time is no different -- except this was my 4th baby, so I feel like I'll have to work even harder since a) everything has been stretched repeatedly, and b) I'm (gulp!) older.
Early this year, my gym began advertising a 9-week "Challenge", in which contestants' packages include their membership for 9 weeks, 3 personal training sessions, and access to "group personal training" classes (which are TOUGH, I might add). The one who loses the highest percentage of body fat (there will be a male winner and a female winner) gets a very nice cash prize, and 2nd place gets a lesser prize (but still not bad!). After a couple folks mentioned the challenge to me, I started seeing the writing on the wall. One of them, an OB, said, "You should definitely think about doing the Challenge! It's perfect timing -- you just had a baby, are nursing, and will likely lose more body fat than most!" Of course, after hearing that, I entered.
Anyway, it started March 1st! So far (well the last time I stepped on the scale was this past weekend), I've lost 14 lbs -- which likely means I've lost more fat than that, considering the muscle I expect I'm gaining. I have to admit I've been hitting it really hard -- pushing myself in classes/training sessions to the point where I am (*blush*) literally crying.
The exercise is great -- it's given more energy and made me feel a lot stronger. But I think a very key element in my success thus far has been diet. Believe it or not, I have not felt hungry AT ALL. Protein-dense/nutrient-dense foods. And, believe me, there are some things that would surprise most. I am loving it! Smoothies are wonderful (I LOVE my Magic Bullet!), plus skinless chicken breasts, fish fillets (not breaded), mixed veggies, and berries (specifically berries like blueberries, blackberries, etc.). I also cut out most carbs in the latter half of the day. Oh -- and I always make sure to have a pre-workout/post-workout snack. Greek yogurt is wonderful -- it has twice the protein of regular yogurt. I don't care for yogurt -- but I love Greek yogurt! I think the best part of the strength training diet is that I have to eat more to keep my weight loss momentum going! I am not a big fan of small portions -- which may be evidenced by what I am trying to lose.
I would LOVE it if I won! But, it's okay if I don't. Thanks to being "Challenged," I have jump-started my way to being a lot more lean and energetic. It also helps me keep a positive outlook -- gotta love those endorphins! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am impressed!!!
Post a Comment