As previously mentioned, I was having a lot of problems with headaches, blurred vision, nausea, parasthesia, etc. My doctor even offered to send me on over to the hospital for induction at my last appointment with him. He wanted me to at least be monitored at the hospital, or to come in for more frequent visits because my symptoms indicated probable pre-eclampsia. We opted for the more frequent visits -- not wanting to rush our baby's arrival before she was ready. I saw one of the midwives in the practice later that week -- she had some labs drawn in the office. She said at the time, "You really look like you need to be in the hospital." We politely declined again... That night, she called me at home to discuss the results (which were okay --thankfully, HELLP syndrome, which is a concern in this situation, was not detected) -- and again suggested I may need further evaluation... She reminded us that my symptoms indicated that those labs/vital signs could change very, very quickly...
So, that night, Tom and I had a discussion about it. I was not getting sleep -- and my dr. had already scheduled me for induction in a few days, anyway. So we decided that if things remained as severe, we'd go ahead and call the next morning to agree to go on in to the hospital. I made the call that next morning stating that my symptoms were intense, and that I was willing to consider my dr.'s previous offer of a slightly earlier induction.
After a couple hours of no return phone call, I called them again -- wondering why they had not called me back. My dr. was not in the office -- nor was the midwife who'd called me the night before. I was met with, "We didn't call you back because it isn't time for you to be induced yet. We know you're uncomfortable sweetie (I hate being called "sweetie" -- especially when done so in a patronizing manner), but that is not a good reason to induce you early!" So, obviously the word "induction" was all that was heard in that message... I reminded them of what my dr. had said at my appointment -- and that he made sure I knew he was on call that weekend in case I felt the need to come in earlier. I also stated that this is "not common pregnancy discomfort -- that these are symptoms that could indicate a serious problem." I also reminded the staff person on the phone that the labs/vital signs obtained could change very quickly if a serious problem existed -- and that it was not safe to ignore a patient's concerns.... That got their attention. The put-out person said she'd figure it out and call me back. ....Minutes later, she called back, saying my dr. wanted me to check into the hospital as soon as I could get there.
Of course, when I got there, some of those changes had occurred overnight ... My previously "okay" blood pressure had elevated significantly, and wasn't coming down. Pre-eclampsia was officially diagnosed. My doctor came to see me and discuss what we wanted to do -- and to give me his opinion. He said we could have labor induced -- and that the risk to the baby was minimal, but the risk to me if I remained pregnant (and eventually to the baby) was a good bit greater. We agreed that induction was best. We started that afternoon at 4. The initial drug, Cervidil, was one I'd never experienced as a patient. It was .... unpleasant. I was already having fairly regular contractions -- but now they were VERY regular (and far more painful), coming frequently. It did its job, though, because by 4 the next morning, I was "ready" for pitocin (unfortunately, I knew what that drug would do to me -- so I went ahead and asked for an epidural!). With the epidural, I could still feel contractions -- but not as strongly as before. This is a good thing -- because I was able to nap off and on all day. We had hired a birth photographer, who I'm sure was completely shocked when we kept texting her to say, "Not yet..." My doctor came in around 12:30 PM on Saturday to break my water. We all figured that would "do the trick" and really get things going. Not so much. By that night, I had made NO change at all. I was getting really frustrated -- as I had kind of counted on having a baby by then, if not way earlier. Baby number 4 is supposed to come quickly, right? Nope, not necessarily!
My doctor (a saint!) came to see me that evening. He simply walked in, and said, "I know you are getting anxious about this -- but try to be patient. I can be patient if you can! I really, honestly believe that you WILL have this baby when she's ready to come. She's just not ready yet -- and you need to give her time. Let's give this induction a fair shot!" This was especially reassuring to hear! Since I've been a labor/delivery nurse, I know that this is very rare for any physician. Most of the doctors I've worked with in the past would have sent me on to the OR because of a "failed induction". I am so grateful to be in the care of someone who does not practice that way!
Sure enough, later that night, I began to feel the contractions intensifying. I progressed during the night -- and was transitioning in the wee hours of the morning. Our photographer came on in and started shooting some "labor" shots. My doctor also came on to the hospital to be on site for the rest of my labor. When I felt a strong urge to push -- but a bit too early, he had the anesthesiologist come in to increase my dosage of meds in the epidural. This enabled me (and Tom!) to get some much-needed sleep. When I woke up, the day shift was coming in, and I was feeling more pressure. After that, things started happening very quickly. Before too long, the whole team was assembled, ready to greet our little girl! The pushing wasn't easy at all -- but I felt the strong urge to do so, which helped! I remember my dr. saying, "It's obvious that your time at the gym is helping you out here!" I almost started laughing -- he had teased me for lifting weights at 32 weeks (he works out at the same gym I do), asking if it was making me have contractions! Good comic relief...
Kaitlyn came at 9:21 a.m. -- pink and healthy! She was shockingly small (well, compared to my other babies!) at 7 lbs, 7 oz (Colin weighed 8 lbs, 15 oz @ 3 weeks early -- so imagine our surprise!). She was 20 inches long, and crying beautifully! She had hung on until the week of Christmas -- and came on the first day she was considered "term" as opposed to "preterm".
Kaitlyn has been a very good baby so far -- and is growing well (she is always ravenous, to say the least!). We are so happy to have her in our family!

No comments:
Post a Comment